Sunday, April 06, 2008

THAT'S WHY THEY'RE CALLED STORIES

Professor Barry Rubin discusses some of his personal experiences with biased journalism gone bad in WHAT'S MORE IMPORTANT: BLUE JEANS OR BEING BLOWN UP?

"Another personal experience. Australian Broadcasting Company, that country's main and official television network interviewed me on the main events of the Middle East in 2007. I said that the most important single thing was Hamas's takeover of the Gaza Strip, an action which set back the chances for peace by many years, even decades.

When the story was broadcast it had been edited so that I appeared to be saying that Israel policy had set back the chances for peace by many years, even decades.

I filed an official complaint and in the end they came down on my side, sort of. The decision was that the piece had been carelessly edited or something like that. In the online correction, however, they didn't even say that but merely that I had asked that an explanation be added to make clear my point was not about Israeli policy.

Of course, the reporter had done it on purpose."

Something the ABC's own Media Watch wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole - of course!

No comments: